Sunday, April 12, 2015

Masterbeats (Canada, c1981-1982)

From Kitchener, Ontario they were active for several years in the early 80s and played around town as well as in places like nearby London, as shown by the above flyers. I went to the University of Waterloo from 1978 - 1983 and vaguely remember hearing them on the campus radio station (CKMS). During those days we regularly attended shows around town ... places like the Kent Hotel, Level 21, The Back Door, etc and quite likely saw them. Memories from those days are somewhat fuzzy now but given the amount of various alcoholic beverages imbibed, "wacky tabacky" smoked (I didn't inhale though) and other substances ingested, I'm not surprised. I just wish I had been smart enough to record even a fraction of what I heard on the radio back then.

If anyone has any info about the band or recordings they would like to share feel free to get in touch and I'll add it here. What info I have is sketchy so any more would be welcome. Someone out there somewhere must have some tapes!

Lineup:
Vocals: Bink J.
Bass: Mona Morbid (replaced by Kenny M.)
Guitar: Robert B.
Drums: Bob H.
2(?) members were later in Black Betty around the mid-late 1980's.

9 comments:

WDM said...

check here:
http://londonfuse.ca/event/30-years-laterlive-cedar-lounge

Mort Subite said...

There were a lot of good bands around the Kitchener - London - Hamilton - Toronto area back then.

whatwave dave said...

have you found anything by The Masterbeats yet?

I've been looking for their tape for many years with no luck. Remember seeing them many times at the Cedar Lounge here in London On circa 79 to 82 and hearing songs on the radio by them.

Matzohball77 said...

Also looking for info on the Masterbeats. Great band. I saw a few times in Toronto circa 1982

Dave DYMITRI Hanna said...

🎵DIAL M🎵 for Masterbeats! I even remember one of their songs. I loved the Back Door, that place was a haven for punk rockers in Kitchener! I wonder what the lead singer, Bink, is up to now...

Bink said...

Hey, I’m kind of lost when it comes to this but I’ll give it a shot. Totally blown away by this. A friend in KW passed it along to me. As far as Masterbeats tapes there never were any except for some very raw studio tapes. I’d have to look through my stuff. There is one Black Betty recording of three songs that may be available but I’d have to charge you for it. Nothing ridiculous just expenses. Hey, wow. Thanks for showing interest and making my day. Very cool

Mort Subite said...

Hey Bink, Thanks for the comment. I've looking for any recordings for years. I did get two mp3's a couple years back that sounded really good. I don't know where they might have come from originally. I had spoken with you briefly many years ago ( I got your phone # from your brother). That Black Betty tape sounds interesting, I'd be interested in getting a copy of that one. I remember back in the day there was a dj at CKMS that would often play the Masterbeats. The good old days.

Mona Morbid (aka Mona Lisa W) said...

Haha! I am the Mona Morbid original bass player before Kenny M and I never had any tapes or photos! We were awesome it is nice to be remembered but sad it was a time when little was recorded or filmed! And it fucking sucks that the cool drummer and I will both be 65 years old in 2025!!! But Mona is still here hahaha!!

Mona Morbid (aka Mona Lisa W) said...

Hi Bink love Mona yup it's me! X